The international service of Czech Radio 
26-11-2020, 13:35 UTC
Photo Tour of the Czech Republic - Towns

Bruntal is situated in the northeasten area of the Czech Republic in the Moravian -Silesian Region near the border with Poland. Bruntal, with its population of nearly 18,000 inhabitants is 547 m above sea level and is known as "the south-eastern gate to the Jeseníky Mountains". Bruntal was established towards the end of the 12th century due to the colonisation of the Jeseniky Mountain Region. The Margrave of Moravia, Vladislav Jindrich granted municipal rights to Bruntal between 1210 and 1213. The rule of Bruntal later changed hands to the Opava Premysl family, then the Bruntalsti z Vrbna family and finally the Order of Teutonic Knights. The prosperity of the town was closely associated with the mining of precious metals, as is shown by the oldest preserved municipal seal, on which there is a figure of a miner (1287). The modern history of Bruntal are associated with the development of the textile industry during the first half of the 19th century. The renaissance chateau and the chateau park
The original Gothic castle, dating from the second half of the 15th century, was separated from the town by a deep moat and a rampart. In its present form, that of a Renaissance residence with a tower 61 m high that dominates the town, it was completed at the beginning of the 17th century. In the chateau park can be found original sculptures from the early 20th century and the remains of the original fortifications.
The Piarist church of Our Lady of Consolation and the monastery
The building was completed in the 1750s in the rococo style by the architect Glycerius Plcher. Inside the church are two paintings by Johan Handke. The parish church of the Assumption of Our Lady
The building has a Gothic core bearing witness to its foundation at the end of the 13th century. It was reconstructed in the Renaissance style in the 16th century and again in the Baroque style after fires in 1749 and 1764. The church tower dominates the town. Two chapels have been built on to the main church. The four Renaissance tombs of the lords of Vrbno have now been placed inside the church.
The Protestant church
The church was constructed in 1887 in the Neogothic style by Karl Schneider, the owner of the adjoining laundry. It was the first Protestant church in the Bruntal region.
Some other houses on the square also retain some original Renaissance features from the 16th century, although they were later reconstructed in the Empire or classicist styles.
The Gabriel's burgher's house on the corner of square
This is the bestpreserved Renaissance building in the town and the most beautiful historical building of this type in Czech Silesia. From 1898 to 1957 it housed the municipal museum, and it was then taken over by the Czech Post Office.
The Baroque church of pilgrimage of Our Lady of Succour
This church on Uhlirsky Vrch hill was constructed in the mid-18th century on the site of a mid-17th century chapel. The external mosaics from 1925 represent St. Paul (with a sword) and St. Peter. The approach to the church is by a unique avenue consisting of four rows of trees, the main avenue being 12 m wide and the two side ones 4 m wide.