The international service of Czech Radio 
14-10-2019, 21:05 UTC
Photo Tour of the Czech Republic - Towns
 
Valasske Mezirici

Valašské Meziříčí
The town of Valasske Mezirici is one of the gateways to the Beskydy mountains. It lies at the confluence of two rivers - the Becva Roznovska and the Vsetinska Becva. The first recorded reference dates from 1297 and the settlement attained the status of a town in 1377. The Zerotins were the mosrt powerful aristocractic family in the towns. The renaissance castle they built above the river Becva is today one of the largest protected historical monuments in the district. The town's major industries developed in the second half of the last century and were located in Krasno nad Becvou. The chief products were glassware, ceramics, leather goods, textiles, and engineering goods. The printing industry was also of major importance for the town and the regional economy and culture. In Valasske Mezirici a number of specialized secondary schools were established, including as early as 1855 the Catholic Mechanics Institute. The lawyer Alois Mykiska came to Valasske Mezirici in 1863 and his public and political activity, especially in the field of education, influenced the town and the whole of Moravian Wallachia for more than 40 years. The grammar school for boys, and later for girls, was established in 1871 and three years later a specialist school for wood manufacturing. The first tapestry school in the Czech lands was established here by Rudolf Schlattauer in 1908. The manufacture of tapestries continues in the town up to the present. Three of Valasske Mezirici's most important historic buildings are located near the viewpoint in the south part of town, Stinadla: -The fine art nouveau Deaf and Dumb School
-One of the oldest observatories in central Europe, adjoining the new observatory, which is one of the best equipped in the Czech lands and one of the twelve in the world which maintain a regular observation of the sun.
-A neo-renaissance villa, now a private surgery.
The Market square and the surrounding streets is the surviving core of the original medieval walled town, and it has been designated as a conservation area since 1992. Forty-six houses here have been scheduled as historic monuments.The town hall built in 1677 housed the district council and district court from 1850. On the north side of the square there is a fine baroque column to the Virgin Mary and balancing it on the south side a statue of St Florian. Krizkovskeho street, leading to the parish church of the Ascencion of the Blessed Virgin Mary, contains the most important assemblage of historic buildings in the town centre.