The international service of Czech Radio 
19-7-2019, 07:54 UTC
Photo Tour of the Czech Republic - Towns
 
Nove Mesto nad Metuji

Nové Město nad Metují
Jan Cerncicky of Kacov laid the foundation stone of one of the most beautiful towns of the Czech lands on August 10th 1501, on the rocky headland surrounded on three sides by the river Metuje. When viewed from the direction of the mountains, the outline of roofs and towers rightfully deserve the title "Czech Bethlehem". As soon as houses, gates and ramparts of the new residence were built, JanJan Cerncicky of Kacov issued a document transferring town rights from the small town of Krcin to a new town, that he named "Nove Mesto Hradiste nad Medhuji (New Town Fort upon Medhuje)". Licences to organise markets, collect excise and licence to brew beer seemed to breathe life and activity into the new buildings. But this remarkable town was destroyed by a severe fire in 1526 and Jan Cerncicky of Kacov sold the town, forts and 16 villages to Vojtech of Pernstejn. It was the Pernstejns who gained recognition for Nove Mesto nad Metuji to be included among the most magnificent Czech Renaissance towns. Beautiful arcades of all the houses remained unchanged in their original state and the gables in the north part of the square were reconstructed to their original shape. In the near vicinity of the castle are placed Baroque statuettes - the work of Matyas Bernard Braun. The Krcin fort, which was referred to as a castle, was burnt down in 1420 by Orebits enemies. The Church of Holy Spirit with a preserved presbytery and font is probably the oldest building in the Nove Mesto region. Next to the church stands a precious campanile dating from the 16th century with wooden boarding and a timber roof structure, but the stone foundation is much older, dating back to as early as the Pre-Hussite Period. In 1519 the Church of the Holy Trinity was built on the square and the tower of this church served as a dwelling for a watchman. Other monuments in the square worth noting are the St. Mars Column, dating back to 1696, which was built by grateful citizens to express their thanks for avoiding the plague, and The Statue of Holy Trinity built by the townspeople in 1767 in acknowledgement of the end of the Seven-year War. In the vicinity, the church in Slavonov undoubtedly ranks as the most important place of interest. The church was built in 1553 on the site of an older church and is 3 km away from the town. The interior of the timber church with an organ-loft was painted in 1705 and together with the campanile and cemetery form a rare, old-time corner. Since the fifties, Nove Mesto nad Metuji has been an urban historical monument preserve, and is embedded in the beautiful scenery, which invites pleasant walks. Behind the town there is a view of the Orlicke Mountains, which are beautiful in any season of the year.